Enphase - A Smarter Solar System
Enphase has pioneered a new approach to managing solar power that makes solar systems smarter and more efficient. Traditionally solar panels are connected in series which connect to one inverter which treats all of the panels as one huge one, the main drawback of this is if there is a problem with one of the panels (for example a tree causing shading), all the other panels will also suffer an equivalent output loss meaning that the systems efficiency is greatly reduced.
Enphase replaces these large central inverters with small micro-electronics that attach to each solar panel. These devices, known as microinverters, allow each panel to operate independently, leading to significant improvements in energy production and adding a new layer of intelligence throughout the system. Each Microinverters integrates with advanced networking technology and web-based software to enable new levels of intelligence and connectivity in the solar array.
The Enphase Microinverter System consists of the following components:
- The Microinverter that connects to each solar module and converts DC power to grid-compliant AC power
- The Envoy Communications Gateway that networks with each microinverter and transmits performance information to the internet
- The Enlighten software where Enphase customers can monitor and manage their solar power systems 24 hours a day
Enphase Microinverters are installed on each solar panel, this helps to maximise energy production and converts the DC power from the panel into standard AC electricity. This design offers greater design flexibility and simplified installation – accommodating different roof planes, pitches, or rooftop obstacles.
According to Enphase documentation the microinverters can provide 5-25% more energy harvest per module than traditional systems and system availability of 99.8%.
The Envoy Gateway
The Enphase Envoy Communications Gateway is the networking hub for the Enphase Microinverter System which connects to the internet enabling greater intelligence, reporting, and even remote troubleshooting. The Envoy uses advanced powerline communications technology to connect to each microinverter without additional wiring or wireless configuration. System owners can easily check the status of their solar system using the Envoy’s LCD display or they can get more detailed information through Enlighten, Enphase’s web-based monitoring and analysis software.
The Enlighten monitoring platform provides an unprecedented level of intelligence to solar system owners and installers.
Unlike conventional monitoring systems, Enlighten is continuously monitoring the health and performance of the entire system to ensure maximum uptime. Available through an intuitive, web-based interface, Enlighten brings your system operations and maintenance processes to new heights of efficiency and convenience.
- At-a-glance views of energy production assure system owners that their system is performing as expected
- Easily compare current performance against a previous day, week, or month
- View historical weather data to understand variations in performance
- System status indicator shows when the system is not performing as expected and what can be done to restore performance
- One-click sharing available with integrated social media buttons
- Accessible from any device with an Internet connection and a web browser